Leftover Mashed Potatoes -> Potato Soup

I can't believe my little Christmas break is almost over. I've spent the week reading, watching Netflix, browsing the internet, and thrifting. It's safe to say that I've thoroughly enjoyed myself.

My mom, step-dad, and sister spent Christmas here at my apartment and we made a huge feast of turkey, ham, and all the sides. I don't know why, but I don't like to eat leftovers the same way I ate them the first time, so I've been looking up different recipes to try.

The first recipe I tested was this potato soup from Cooking with Karin using leftover mashed potatoes. It was awesome! It tasted just like potato soup should, especially with the crumbled bacon and green onions sprinkled on top. Next time you make mashed potatoes, make extra so you can enjoy this soup afterwards!

Here's what you'll need:


bacon (however many strips you want!)
1 finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups chicken stock
2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
1 1/2 cups half and half
salt and pepper, to taste
shredded cheese, for garnish
chopped green onions, for garnish

Step 1: In a stock pot, cook bacon until crispy. Set aside.

Step 2: Sauté the onion in the bacon fat until soft. The turkey bacon I had didn't leave any delicious greasy juices, so I just used olive oil.  


Step 3: Whisk in the flour, chicken stock, half-and-half, and mashed potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.



Step 4: Serve and garnish with shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, and green onions. Yum!


*Recipe adapted from Cooking with Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment